Saturday, April 15, 2023

Rohloff hub oil changing kit

 


The Rohloff hub oil changing kit is a popular choice, even for non-Rohloff hubs. I believe that this is mainly because the Shimano kit is almost impossible to acquire, and the Rohloff kit works fine.

The kit comes with a syringe, a tube to connect the syringe to the hub, cleaning oil and replacement oil. It does not include the 3mm allen wrench but does include a replacement plug which the Shimano Nexus 11 does not use. The general sequence is:

  • Suck out the old oil
  • Add the cleaning oil
  • Go ride for a few minutes
  • Suck out the cleaning oil
  • Add the replacement oil
The tube, which includes a 3mm threaded barb fitting, works for the Shimano Nexus 11 perfectly. When adding oil, I do NOT thread it all the way, so air can escape.

I'm not impressed with the syringe. It appears to be the cheapest one that they could find. I bought a cheap sinus cleaning kit because it came with a syringe. It turned out to be MUCH better. It has a better plunger and a threaded connector. I don't know why Rohloff couldn't include one. Do they think people will just throw it out?

Rohloff's syringe is in the middle.

The oil is completely scent free and clear. I suspect that it is just mineral or whatever baby oil is. I tried automatic transmission fluid (ATF) which smelled HORRIBLE. Finding cheaper alternatives is noble but ATF is not worth it.

This was the first time I had changed the oil in my Nexus 11 but, at least with the 3mm barb that the Rohloff kit comes with, I found it simple and trouble-free.


No comments:

Post a Comment